Monday, January 25, 2010

Self image

Social self-image is formed by one's opinion of the opinion of others.

I'd like to say it doesn't matter but that's not true.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but time doesn't heal all wounds.

I have an unfortunately powerful memory. I say unfortunate because I can remember every single time I've ever felt embarrassed since before I can remember really anything else. Every awkward moment, every time I've been wrong, every biting comment or criticism I allowed to slip between my defenses.

I relive these moments every time I feel self-conscious, and while I'd like to say they make me stronger they usually reinforce my insecurity.

Back to my original point, one's self image is like the reflection in a mirror. You can choose certain aspects of you image, even make changes, yet you are never fully in control of the image.

Just something I'm thinking about right now.

2 comments:

  1. You are right that we can't control our image. At least not for everyone that looks at it. It's like abstract art where two people come away with two completely ideas of what the artists is saying.

    The hardest part is trying to believe that what others think of you doesn't matter. As much as we try to believe that, in the end, it does matter. We want to be liked. We want to be cool. What others think of us directly affects what we think of ourselves.

    I still remember being called egghead in second grade. It has affected me to this day. Or maybe I've let it affect me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really touched me! in finnish: aika koskeva! in greek: με άγγιξε

    ReplyDelete